I took all the basic components for the perfect cheese board and wine & made them into…a pizza. What could go wrong? It’s portable, shareable, and less time consuming than an elaborate cheese board.
Seriously, have you seen some people’s cheeseboards? It’s like an art! They’re so fancy with all the perfect olives, cheese, meats, nuts, and crackers. I have the patience to do many things, but a fancy cheese board like that? Not sure I’d want to spend the time.
The sauce for the pizza is incredibly easy: you just simmer wine, garlic, and a bit of olive oil. Then, we’re topping the pizza with cheese, salami, pepperoni, grapes, and more cheese! You can use any type of cheese, but I recommend keeping it an Italian based cheese. And for the meat, I chose salami & pepperoni because it was the easiest to find, but prosciutto or a similar Italian meat would work fine. Do you see a theme here? Stick with Italian based anything and the flavors will taste great.
Don’t freak out about the grapes on pizza! First, I’m pretty sure all your guests will think they’re olives. Secondly, they add a good sweetness that helps balance out the salty & savory flavors from the meats.
You don’t have to worry about prepping this pizza dough ahead of time. There’s no yeast, so it doesn’t have to rise and there’s no way to mess it up. Just mix everything, knead it for a few minutes, and assemble the pizza!
I love how all components of the pizza mesh together, but my favorite part? The seasoning on the crust! I rimmed the crust with my all time favorite seasoning Everything But The Bagel from Trader Joe’s. It the perfect end to the perfect pizza. Because who wants to eat boring old crust? Not me.
Wine & Cheeseboard Pizza
|Yield: makes one pizza|
All the best parts of a cheeseboard in the form of a pizza with a red wine sauce
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 - 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 4 large pieces salami
- 3 large pieces pepperoni
- 12-15 grapes, cut in half
- 1/2 tablespoon Everything But The Bagel Seasoning
- Crust: Mix dry ingredients together. Add olive oil, honey, and gradually add water. Mix until combined, adding more water if needed. Knead for 2 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Sauce: Add olive oil to a pan over medium heat. Saute garlic for 30 seconds. Add wine. Simmer for 10 minutes, until liquid is reduced by half.
- Stretch dough thinly on pan. Spread sauce over dough. Add half the cheese. Add the meat and grapes. Top with remaining cheese. Sprinkle Everything seasoning around crust.
- Bake pizza for 13 -15 minutes until cheese is browned and crust is crisp.