Corn is the one vegetable that makes me think of summer. Especially grilled corn. Charred to perfection and seasoned with salt and pepper.
The Summer Produce Cheese Pie is a mix of all the best summer vegetables (corn, bell peppers, green beans, and zucchini) with a flaky Ritz cracker crust all topped with a good handful of cheese and eggs. So, we could call this a quiche, but isn’t a quiche technically a pie? I think so.
For the crust, to make everything extra flaky and buttery, we’re using Ritz crackers! And not just any Ritz crackers: everything seasoned crackers. I did not realize how many different crackers Ritz made…my grocery store had probably ten different options! But you can never go wrong with the everything flavor. I love it and it’s one of my favorite flavors for bagels too. I usually prefer something sweeter for breakfast, but I can never pass up a good everything bagel.
This is about the time of summer where I start to run out of good dinners for produce. There’s just so much of it, sometimes I never know what to do besides grilling it. Keeping with that thought, we’re grilling the produce then tossing it in the pie (or quiche, whatever you want to call it). I like to always cook my produce before adding it because the flavor is great, you can season it better, and everything is tender and caramelized.
Quiche pie is usually a staple in the winter months, but if you switch up the produce it can be made for any season! It’s a great meal to use up those leftover vegetables. I love how easy it is too: mix everything in one bowl, pour it in the pan, then eat! All your meal in one cheesy vegetable filled slice of pie.
Summer Produce Cheese Pie
|Yield: makes one 9 inch pie|
Everything seasoned Ritz cracker crust, filled with zucchini, bell peppers, corn, green beans, eggs, and cheese.
- 2 cups Ritz crackers, finely crushed (I like the everything flavor)
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 ears of corn, cut of cob
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup green beans, chopped
- 2 zucchinis, chopped
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine the Ritz crackers and butter. Place in a glass 9 inch pie pan and press to form the crust. Bake crust 10 minutes. Remove to cool.
- In a medium bowl, place onion, corn, peppers, green beans, zucchini, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill until evenly cooked and browned, about 7 minutes.
- In a large bowl, place grilled vegetables, eggs, cheese, and milk. Mix. Pour into cooled pie crust.
- Cook 35 - 40 minutes until set and golden brown. Top with chopped basil and thyme. Let cool 10 minutes before cutting.
images and text © North Coast Eats
adapted from Half Baked Harvest