Imagine the perfect Sunday morning… the smell of cinnamon, nutmeg, and warm buttered baked goods filling the air. Smells like cinnamon rolls. Not any cinnamon rolls, but homemade quick eggnog cinnamon rolls! Soft rolls filled with cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, and frosted with a cream cheese eggnog glaze.
I do love a good cinnamon roll, but waiting for the dough to rise is not my favorite thing! I’m too lazy to prep them the night before, and by the time the dough rises and they’re done cooking, it’s probably already past noon. Not necessarily a bad thing, but sometimes I don’t want to spend my whole morning making cinnamon rolls.
But here’s a thought: quick cinnamon rolls. And not just any quick cinnamon rolls, but eggnog cinnamon rolls! The ‘quick’ part means you don’t need yeast and instead you use ricotta cheese and baking powder.
I’ve never been an eggnog lover, after one sip my reaction is always, yep there’s that permanent marker flavor. But, last year I tried So Delicious Eggnog and it was amazing! None of the weird aftertaste or overly thick texture. When making these cinnamon rolls though, opt for the regular eggnog – you’ll want it to add the creamy richness to the cinnamon rolls. And if you don’t like eggnog? Well even if you never drink eggnog, you should still make these because they are the perfect seasonal cinnamon rolls! They really don’t taste like eggnog, more like doughy cinnamon and nutmeg deliciousness.
Quick Eggnog Cinnamon Rolls
Soft rolls filled with cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, and frosted with a cream cheese eggnog glaze.
- 3/4 cup whole ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup eggnog
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon eggnog
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 9 inch cake pan.
- Make the dough: In a large bowl combine ricotta cheese through vanilla. In a small bowl mix flour through salt. Add flour mixture to dough. Mix just until combined. Roll dough on a floured surface in a 12 x 15 inch rectangle.
- Mix all 'filling' ingredients (EXCEPT the butter) in a small bowl.
- Spread melted butter on the rolled out dough. Spread filling on dough.
- Starting at the long edge, roll the cinnamon roll up. Cut into even pieces, about 1 1/2 inch thick. Place in greased cake pan. Don't worry if all the rolls don't touch, they will expand in the oven!
- Make about 15 - 20 minutes, until barely golden brown.
- Make the frosting: Place on ingredients in a bowl and mix on medium speed until fluffy. Spread frosting on warm cinnamon rolls.
images & text © North Coast Eats
adapted by Love & Zest