Fluffy cookies flavored with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, apple butter, and pumpkin piped into spiral rose buds. Sometimes good things come from experiments gone wrong.
Do you ever spend 4 hours of your day making dessert and it turns out to be a fail? No, just me? I was originally going to make donuts. Cake donuts flavored with pumpkin, cinnamon, and apple butter. The dough turned out great & smelled DELICIOUS! Buuut I had a hard time with frying them. I think between the pumpkin and apple butter, the dough was too wet and it messed up the frying process. Back to the drawing board, for me…
I was planning on remaking the donuts the next day, instead I decided to make cookies! These cookies are much less time consuming and they have the same flavor profile as the donuts. Plus, there’s a little bit of chocolate and everything is better with chocolate.
You can make these cookies in any shape you want: spirals (that’s what I did), logs, or s shape. The spirals look like little rose buds. To make them you basically just pipe an overlapping circle. I expected these to taste like shortbread cookies, similar to italian butter cookies if you’ve ever tried them. Once again, due to the pumpkin and apple butter these cookies have more of a cake texture than a crumbly shortbread texture. Luckily, the texture worked well with the cookies, no so much for the donuts!
If you’re using the apple butter from this apple bourbon recipe you probably still have some left. Even after making these cookies I have enough left to use for another recipe. Or, let’s be honest, to spread on a bagel or toast! I’ve been seeing a lot of recipes for an apple butter pumpkin pie and I’d love to try it out. You can never have too many uses for apple butter!
Pumpkin Apple Butter Rosebud Cookies
|Yield: Makes 60, 11/2 inch cookies|
Fluffy cookies flavored with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, apple butter, and pumpkin piped into spiral rose buds.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup canned 100% pumpkin
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 1 egg
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- 4 - 6 ounces melted chocolate
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter for 1 minute until fluffy.
- In a small bowl whisk the dry ingredients: sugar through salt (DO NOT add the flour).
- Add the mixed dry ingredients to the butter. Mix 1 minute until combined.
- Add the pumpkin, apple butter, and egg, mix until combined.
- Add the flour and gently mix until combined.
- Fill a pipping bag fitted with a 1/2 inch star tip with batter. Pipe your choice of shapes on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 10 - 12 minutes until bottom of cookie is golden. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from baking sheet.
- Dip 1/3 or 1/2 of each cookie into the melted chocolate. Let harden before serving. Store cookies in the refrigerator.