I think I’m addicted to granola bars…I just love the chewy, crunchy, and sweet taste of them. Its almost as satisfying as eating a cookie, but much healthier. These granola bars are packed with crunchy peanut butter, Grape Nuts cereal, chia seeds, dried cranberries and sweetened with honey.
I mentioned before, but in school I packed my lunch every day and I basically had the same thing: PB & J sandwich, granola bar, apple, and pretzels (or sometimes chips…gotta live life on the edge a little). Crazy that I ate the same thing every day when I don’t even like eating leftovers for dinner. But to me, lunch has always been insignificant. Even now, I usually just munch on something quick or I skip lunch all together.
Anyway, back to the granola bars. My favorite were the crunchy honey oats, or chewy chocolate chip. I was always jealous of kids that ate Kudos bars with M&M’s. I begged my mom to buy them (and tried to convince her I should have a peanut butter and marshmallow fluff sandwich) but no such luck. Sometimes, if I was lucky, my mom would make Grape Nuts granola bars. I know, it doesn’t sound lucky, in fact it sounds kinda gross. We always bought Grape Nuts cereal and one time the recipe was featured on the box. My mom made them, and they were a keeper!
So, naturally, I decided I needed to share the recipe with you! Once I actually looked at the ingredients I knew they needed some modification. I don’t remember it exactly, but I know they call for a lot of corn syrup…gross. Instead of corn syrup we’re using a mix between honey and coconut oil. Oh, and for the peanut butter? Make sure you use crunchy peanut butter to give the granola bars their extra crunch.
And, if you’re feeling adventurous, you can even add chocolate chips or M&M’s!
Extra Crunchy Peanut Butter Granola Bars
A crunchy granola bar made with Grape Nuts cereal, peanut butter, dried fruit, chia seeds, sweetened with honey.
- 1 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 3 cups Grape Nuts Cereal
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup raisins
- In a microwavable bowl, mix peanut butter, honey, and coconut oil. Melt in the microwave until hot, about 2 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients. Mix, mix, mix. If it seems like the granola mixture is dry, add more peanut butter or honey...don't be afraid to add more, you want the granola bars to stay together!
- Press mixture into a parchment paper lined 9 x 13 pan.
- Freeze for 30 minutes. Remove from freezer and cut into bars. I recommend storing them in the refrigerator.
images and text © North Coast Eats
Adapted from Post Brands Recipes