My least favorite thing about Thanksgiving? I always want to make way too many things and there’s never enough time to make them all. That’s why I love anything that can be prepped ahead of time. When I was thinking of a dessert to make, I knew it had to be make-ahead friendly. This cake has a chocolate cookie crust, peanut butter cream cheese mousse, chocolate ice cream, peanut butter cups, and drizzled with tons of chocolate!
I debated making a cheesecake, but settled on this chocolate peanut butter mousse ice cream cake. While the name sounds long, that’s the most complicated part about it. It’s no-bake and you can make it ahead of time and store it in your freezer. The peanut butter mousse is light and creamy while the chocolate ice cream adds more sweetness and is stuffed with chocolate peanut butter cups!
I never realized how many different types of Oreos you can buy! They even had chocolate peanut butter Oreos. I was tempted to buy them, but decided to make it simple and stick with the classic Oreos. You really can’t have a better flavor combination than chocolate and peanut butter. Well, maybe there’s a few other good combos (chocolate & mint, chocolate & hazelnut, pistachio & almond…) but chocolate and peanut butter is a good crowd pleasing combination.
This pie is inspired by a chocolate peanut butter pie my aunt made every holiday. I was going to share that recipe, but then decided I wanted something with a little bit more chocolate. I used chocolate ice cream, but you can use your favorite type of ice cream. Some good alternatives would be vanilla or even chocolate peanut butter ice cream if you really love your peanut butter!
Peanut Butter Mousse & Chocolate Ice Cream Cake
|Yield: makes one 9-inch cake|
Oreo crust, peanut butter mousse, and chocolate ice cream filled with peanut butter cups and drizzled with chocolate.
- 20 chocolate sandwich cookies
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Peanut Butter Mousse:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 8 ounces whipped cream topping
- Ice Cream:
- 32 ounces ice cream, softened (I used chocolate)
- 1 1/2 cups mini peanut butter cups, chopped
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 1/4 cup peanut butter cups, chopped
- Line a 9 inch springform pan with parchment paper.
- Make the crust: Grind chocolate cookies in a food processor. Stir in melted butter. Press crust into the bottom of springform pan.
- Make PB Mousse Layer: Beat the cream cheese and peanut butter until creamy. Mix in the brown sugar. Fold in the whipped cream. Spread PB layer on top of cookie crust.
- Ice Cream Layer: Mix ice cream with 1 1/2 cups peanut butter cups. Spread ice cream mixture over PB layer.
- Freeze cake for 30 minutes.
- Toppings: Melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Drizzle over cake. Top with remaining toppings.
- Freeze cake for an additional 3 hours, or until firm. Remove from freezer 15 minutes before serving.
images & text © North Coast Eats
adapted from Tastes of Lizzy T