Peanut butter, chocolate chips, cookie dough, brownie batter…does it really get any better!? If you’ve never tried brookies you’re missing out. Brookies are a combination of chocolate chip cookies and brownies baked into one delicious cookie. There’s different ways to make brookies. You can swirl the cookie into brownie batter, smash the two doughs together, baking the dough on top of the brownies, or roll them together. For these brookies, I rolled them together. Just like a jelly roll, except with brownie batter in the middle! Chewy chocolate chip cookie dough mixed with chocolate and peanut butter brownie batter all baked into one soft and delicious cookie.
The key for the rolling to work is patience! I was not patient, so the swirls aren’t as perfect as they should be. But they still taste good and that’s all that matters. After you roll out the cookie dough and spread the brownie batter, plop the tray in the freezer for a few minutes. You want the dough to be stiff enough to roll. Then, after you’ve rolled up the dough, stick it back in the freezer for another 30 minutes. Everything will firm up and it will help the spirals keep their form. And if it doesn’t turn out perfect, don’t worry, no one will notice because they’ll taste that delicious. Because the dough and brownie batter are baked together, my cookies turned out more fluffy than chewy. The key is to under bake the cookies so they stay soft.
I added peanut butter to the brownie batter and it was the perfect amount of peanut flavor without overpowering everything. if you want, you can even add peanut butter chips to the cookie dough instead of chocolate chips.
If you think brookies are strictly chocolate brownies with chocolate chip cookies, think again! Los Angeles has a brookie bakery, called Milk + Brookies. Proof that the amount of brookie combinations are endless! What’s your favorite add in for cookies?
Peanut Butter Brookie Smash Cookies
Chocolate chip cookie dough swirled with chocolate peanut butter brownie batter baked into one soft cookie.
- your favorite brownie recipe, with 1/2 cup peanut butter added
- Cookie Dough:
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Make the cookie dough: whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar for 3 minutes. Add the egg, yolk, and vanilla and beat for 2 minutes. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Make the brookies: Place the dough between 2 sheets of wax paper and roll into a thin even layer. Remove the top piece of wax paper. Spread the brownie batter on top of dough (you might not need all the brownie batter). Place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and roll tightly, like a jelly roll starting at the long edge.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place roll in the freezer for 30 minutes. Remove from freezer and slice rounds into 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch thickness. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes, until cookie is set. Cool on pan for 5 minutes. Remove on wire rack to cool completely.
images and text © North Coast Eats
cookie dough adapted from Brown Eyed Baker