We all have our favorite last-minute dinner. You forgot to plan dinner, but you’re starving! My go to routine is to look at all the vegetables in the fridge and make either soup, sandwich, or a bowl of roasted veggies. This is my tried and true I-have-nothing-to-eat meal. Crisp roasted potatoes, raw vegetables, and hummus all mixed together for a quick and nutritional dinner.
It all starts with crispy roasted potatoes seasoned with olive oil, turmeric, oregano, and crushed red pepper. I love adding a little turmeric to my potatoes, or to anything really. They say there are great healthy benefits, like anti-inflammatory, increased brain function, and helping arthritis. While the potatoes are roasting, gather whatever vegetables you have on hand. I used tomatoes, artichokes, lettuce, cucumbers, olives, and alfalfa sprouts.
The bowl is topped with a heaping scoop of hummus. So, remember the hummus from last Tuesday? You can use that or any hummus you have in the fridge. Have fun playing around with different ingredients, nothing is too strict because the idea is to use up whatever is sitting around your kitchen. I went with more of a Mediterranean/Greek theme, but carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, or spinach would all be great substitutes.
While this isn’t a super quick recipe, it doesn’t require a lot of attention. While the potatoes are roasting in the oven, prep and chop the vegetables. Plus, you can roast the extra potatoes for lunch or dinner the next day. It’s never a bad idea to have a few leftovers.
Mediterranean Hummus Bowl
|Yield: serves one person|
Crispy roasted potatoes with raw vegetables, and finished with a dollop of hummus
- 1 large potatoes, cubed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup hummus, homemade or store-bought
- 6 olives, sliced in half
- 1/4 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 6 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 4 artichoke hearts, sliced in half
- 1/3 cup cucumber, sliced thin
- 1 cup lettuce
- drizzle of olive oil & red wine vinegar
- Roast the potatoes: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a medium bowl mix cut potatoes with turmeric, olive oil, red pepper, and oregano.. Roast potatoes for 20 minutes, until golden brown and flipping half way through. Let cool.
- While potatoes are roasting, prep the vegetables. Place all the vegetables in a bowl. Top with potatoes, add the hummus. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil and red wine vinegar. Stir before eating.
images and text © North Coast Eats