Light and fluffy muffins with the perfect zest of fresh lemons.
In case your not a fan of dense muffins, I’ve got ya covered. These muffins are airy and topped with the best bakery-style crumbs.
When I started to make this recipe, I reached for my mixing beaters, only to realize they were in the dishwasher (which was currently running) from these cookies. Instead of waiting I just mixed everything by hand. I wasn’t sure how it would turn out because I usually like to make the butter and sugar really light and fluffy. And guess what? They turned out great! Just when I was putting the muffins in the oven, the dishwasher beeped, go figure.
I’ve usually only made muffin crumbs using oats. This time, I went the traditional route. Don’t be surprised when your crumb mixture looks nothing like what you’re used to. If your crumb dough looks similar to cookie dough, you’re doing it right! You want the crumbs to set, so let the muffins cool completely before eating.
In my experience, the crumbs won’t turn brown at all. Don’t let them fool you into overcooking the muffins! Make sure to periodically test the muffins with a toothpick. Trust the toothpick, they’re done even though the muffins will still look pale.
Do you like lemon flavor? I know a lot of people don’t like it. I would love to try these muffins with chocolate chips instead of of lemon! I was aiming for a ‘I wish it was spring’ recipe. Lemon seemed to fit the mold. Are you going to make them with fresh lemons? Or try a different fruit or chocolate?
Did you make these Lemon Muffins with Bakery-Style Crumbs? I’d love to hear your comments with any questions & suggestions!
Lemon Muffins with Bakery-Style Crumbs
|Yield: Makes 8 muffins|
Fluffy muffins with just the right amount of lemon zest topped with huge bakery-style crumbs.
- 1/4 cup cutter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, from 1 large lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place 8 muffins liners in a muffin tin.
- Make the batter: In a large bowl beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg, mix until incorporated.
- Add vanilla, lemon zest, lemon juice. Mix well.
- Add salt, baking powder, and flour. Mix until no streaks remain.
- Add sour cream, mix until incorporated.
- Make the crumbs: Add all crumb ingredients to a small bowl, mix.
- Distribute muffin batter among 8 muffin liners. Top with crumb topping.
- Bake muffins 13 -18 minutes, until inserted toothpick has a few crumbs attached. Muffins will still be pale. Let cool completely before eating.
images & text © North Coast Eats
adapted from Baked By Rachel