If you’re thinking you don’t need another guacamole recipe, think again! The avocados are grilled to create a smooth & smokey flavor and I added turmeric, lime juice, and grilled corn!
There’s a time when adding extra effort is, well, worth the extra effort. This is one of those times! I can’t guarantee it but if your avocados are too hard, grilling them might even help soften them.
The recipe was originally inspired by these hand-held guacamole (how cool!), then I decided to take a spin off baba ganoush and just add the grilled avocado to a big bowl of guac toppings.
How many times to you get home from the grocery store just to realize you forgot something?? This happens to me way too often! Sometimes it’s even written on my list and I still forget it. But sometimes those mistakes turn into me being more creative or even changing a recipe entirely.
In this case, I forgot the tomatoes. I thought about using canned tomatoes, then I remembered I had radishes in the fridge. And as strange as it sounds, I really enjoyed it in the guac! They added a good crunch and a nice pop of color.
To speed up the process of this guacamole, while you’re grilling the avocado (I used this indoor grill skillet because it’s snowy and breezy in Ohio) and corn, chop and prep all your other ingredients. By that time, the avocados should be ready!
I might never go back to adding raw onions in guacamole! Cooking them creates a really nice slight sweet flavor and pairs good with the warming flavor of the turmeric.
There might be a lot going on in this guacamole, but it all works together and tastes so amazing! Smokey, sweet, creamy…you need this guac recipe in your life!
If you make this Grilled Guacamole, be sure to comment. I love hearing your thoughts and suggestions!
Grilled avocados add a unique smokey flavor to this guacamole. Mixed with corn, caramelized onions, lime juice, and turmeric it's sure to please a crowd!
- olive oil
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 small onion, diced small
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup corn
- 5 small radishes, diced
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, torn
- salt/pepper/crushed red pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Grill the avocados: Slice avocados in half, the in half again (if need or if they are large). Leave the skin on! Drizzle olive oil on each avocado. Place avocado skin side up on grill. Grill until grill marks appear, about 7 minutes. Remove from grill.
- Cook veggies: in a small frying pan heated over medium low heat with olive oil, place onions, garlic, and corn. Cook until light brown, about 10 minutes.
- Scoop out avocado flesh into a large bowl. Lightly mash. Add onion mixture, radishes, lime juice, cilantro, salt/peppers, and turmeric. Mix well.
images & text © North Coast Eats
inspired by Brewing Happiness