I love sheet cake for many reasons.
The main reason is it’s so much easier and less time consuming than the traditional layer cake. This is a dense, fudgy cake with a ribbon of cream cheese, and topped with a chocolate frosting.
For as long as I can remember, we always ate this cake in May. May is Mother’s Day and the end of May also happens to be my mom’s birthday. So for either day we end up enjoying this cake! My grandma was the first person I remember making this cake – I think she even made it for my mom when she was a kid. That might not be true, but for as long as I remember we’ve always eaten (devoured!) this cake.
If you search the recipe online, a lot of people make this cake in a bundt pan. That works too. I just like the sheet pan because it’s what I’m used to serving it in. And I don’t have a bundt pan, so a sheet pan will have to do!
When you’re pouring the cake batter, don’t make the same mistake I always make! Pour what you think is less than half of the batter for the first layer. I always pour what I think is half the batter only to realize I don’t have enough batter to cover the cream cheese layer! It’s not a problem, it will still cook the same and everything will be covered by gooey chocolate frosting. But it will look more like a ribbon if you layer the batter evenly.
Are you going to make Fudge Ribbon Cake? Leave a comment if you do and let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.
Fudge Ribbon Cake
|Yield: makes 9 x 13 sheet cake|
dense, fudgy cake with a ribbon of cream cheese, and topped with a chocolate frosting.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 eggs, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/3 cup milk, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate square, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup, butter, softened
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 inch cake pan.
- Make the cream cheese ribbon: In a small bowl beat 2 tablespoons butter with cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, and corn starch until fluffy. Add 1 egg, 2 tablespoons milk, mix until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Make the fudge cake: In a large bowl, add the flour, 1 1/2 cup sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda. Beat until mixed, about 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup milk and blend until mixed well.
- Add 1/3 cup milk, 2 eggs, melted chocolate, and vanilla. Mix another 2 minutes.
- Spread half the fudge cake batter in greased pan. Top with cream cheese ribbon. Cover with remaining half of cake batter.
- Bake cake 20 to 30 minutes, until cake springs back when touched lightly in the center. Cool.
- Frosting: Combine the milk and butter in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then remove saucepan from heat.
- Pour in the chocolate chips, vanilla, and 1 cup powdered sugar. Beat until combined. If frosting seems too thin, add up to 1/2 cup more powdered sugar.
- When cake is cool, evenly spread frosting on whole cake. Store leftovers in fridge.
images & text © North Coast Eats
Leave a Reply