Yes, take a second to let the title sink in…. Frosted Animal Cookie Cookies. I put cookies inside cookies!
Well, technically, Lucia from The Foodwright did it first! Thankfully, she perfected the recipe to be the chewiest, yet melt-in-your-mouth cookie you’ve ever had.
I’ve made these several times and I’ve noticed the less sugar I use, the fluffier the cookies appear. This is not a bad thing! They will still be delicious either way. Just keep that in mind, if you decide to cut back on the sugar. I tend to not mind a less sweet cookie, so I listed a range of sugar you can use.
I’m usually a chocolate-or-die type of person, but these are phenomenal! It’s like frosted animal cookies on steroids. The animal cookies are roughly chopped so they are evenly distributed throughout the entire cookie.
Do you have a cookie you remember eating during your childhood? My mom frequently baked cookies growing up (no complaints there!), so it was rare we ever had store bought cookies. I do remember eating a lot of chocolate graham crackers and yogurt cover pretzels, so I guess that counts, right? As a typical child, I always wanted the perfect grocery store cookies! I just loved how colorful they were.
Now that I’ve put frosted animal cookies in cookies, I want to try it with every single cookie! Especially Girl Scout Cookies. Could you imagine Samoas inside sugar cookies!? The possibilities are endless…
But for now, I’ll leave you with this one cookies inside cookies recipe.
Frosted Animal Cookie Cookies
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: makes 2 dozen cookies||Total:|
A chewy sugar cookie filled with frosted animal cookies and rainbow sprinkles
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup - 3/4 cup white sugar (depending on sweet preference)
- 1/4 cup - 1/2 cup brown sugar (depending on sweet preference)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons rainbow sprinkles
- 2 cups frosted animal cookies, broke into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and both sugars, 3 minutes, until fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time. Mix 1 minute. Add both extracts and mix 30 seconds.
- Add flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cornstarch, and sprinkles. Mix until just combined, about 2 minutes.
- Add the animal cookies and gently fold into dough.
- Scoop cookies onto greased cookie sheet. Cook 8-11 minutes, until barely golden around the edges.
- Let cool on baking sheet 5 minutes. Finish cooling on a wire rack.
images & text © North Coast Eats
adapted from The Foodwright