I told you I’d be sharing a patriotic dessert this week just in time for July 4th. Well, this coconut cream pie is 1/3 patriotic! It’s just missing the red and blue. So basically the most important parts….
If you want to go all-out patriotic you can serve this with blueberries and strawberries, either place them on top or serve on the side.
Everyone will forgive you for not making something patriotic when they try some pie! It’s creamy but still light & fluffy. It reminds me of pudding and the coconut flavor isn’t artificial or overpowering. There’s even coconut in the pie crust. I went with traditional heavy whipping cream for the whipped cream, but you can also use solid coconut milk!
It took a lot of searching to find the perfect coconut cream pie recipe. Most cream pies call for heavy cream – close to 3 cups! I knew I wanted the pie to have a creamy texture but I wanted to limit the dairy. I found the perfect solution. This recipe uses a can of coconut milk and just 1 cup of whole milk. Keeping everything creamy but not too dense.
I’ve only tried this recipe with whole milk, but next I want to try using almond milk instead! I was worried the pie wouldn’t set since almond milk is so much thinner than whole milk.
Speaking of the pie needing time to set, you need to wait about 3 hours for the pie to slice nicely. But, if you want the slices to be perfect, make the pie the day before and chill in the fridge overnight. I’d recommend waiting to make the whipped cream until right before you serve it so it’s nice and fluffy.
Are you going to make Coconut Cream Pie? Let me know in the comments and leave any questions or suggestions below.
Coconut Cream Pie
|Yield: makes 1 9-inch pie|
Coconut crust filled with coconut pudding and topped with fluffy whipped cream.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoon coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 eggs yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- WHIPPED CREAM
- 1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup coconut flakes, toasted
- ** Pie is best when chilled overnight **
- Make the crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all crust ingredients in a bowl until dough forms. Transfer dough into pie pan and press dough along bottom and up sides until dough is spread evenly in pan. Bake 8 minutes, until just turning golden brown. Cool.
- Make the pie: Place all pie ingredients in a pan. Stirring frequently, bring to a boil over medium high heat. Remove from heat when mixture is thick (like the consistency of pudding), about 10 minutes. Place mixture in cooled pie crust. Place pie in the fridge to set - about 2 - 4 hours or overnight.
- Make the whipped cream: Beat heavy whipping cream and sugar on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Spread whipped cream over set pie. Sprinkle with toasted coconut flakes.