Cheesecake is not typically known as a quick dessert.
The fluffy authentic cheesecake everyone loves usually takes hours to finally set – upwards of 6 hours long. Sometimes, you just don’t have that kind of time. I get it.
Chocolate chip cheesecake cookies fill the void. They don’t take much longer than regular chocolate chip cookies. They have a creamy cheesecake center and the outer edge of the cookie tastes like a graham cracker crust. Bite-size, portable, and every bit delicious.
I wanted my cookies to have some chocolate, so I added chocolate chips to the cookie dough. You could also melt chocolate and drizzle it on the top of the cookies.
Transporting the cheesecake cookies was my main concern. When I first thought about what to make, i was going to top the cheesecake with fruit. I went with plain cheesecake cookies because I didn’t want them to get soggy or stick together. If you let them cool before wrapping them up they won’t stick to each other when stacked on a plate.
I had some mixed review on the cookie base. None of them were bad! But some people thought the crust reminded them of an oatmeal cookie. The graham crackers add a crumbly texture to the dough, similar to that of a cheesecake crust. Perfect in my mind, but if you want more of a cookie-type base you can use less graham cracker crumbs.
If you really want to up the chocolate flavor, you can try this with chocolate graham crackers! I want to try it next time. Let me know if anyone tries it, I’d love to know how much chocolate graham crackers change the taste.
Are you going to make Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cookies? Leave a comment below with any questions or suggestions, I love hearing your thoughts.
Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cookies
|Yield: makes 30 cookies|
graham cracker chocolate chip cookie with a creamy cheesecake center.
- 1 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (milk or white)
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl mix graham crackers, flour and baking powder.
- In a large bowl beat butter and brown sugar for 2 minutes, until fluffy.
- Mix in egg white. Add graham cracker mixture. Stir in chocolate chips.
- If mixture seems too crumbly, add about 1 teaspoon of water.
- In a medium bowl add egg yolk, cream cheese, sugar, lemon zest, and vanilla. Beat until fluffy.
- Portion out cookie dough in 2 tablespoon balls. Flatten and press thumbprint in middle of dough. Add a dollop of cream cheese mixture to center of each cookie.
- Bake cookies 15 to 18 minutes, until bottom of cookie is lightly browned and cheesecake is almost set. Let cool on baking sheet for 7 minutes.
images & text © North Coast Eats
adapted from Food Network