I hope you like chocolate cupcakes!
These mini chocolate cupcakes have blackberries mixed in the batter. It’s the perfect amount of subtle fruity flavor to compliment the rich chocolate cupcakes.
Decadent chocolate cupcakes with blackberry puree and frosted with chocolate frosting that’s infused with blackberry syrup. Sounds fancy, but it’s easy to make! The batter is all mixed in one bowl and the frosting recipe uses only two ingredients.
Summer dessert always makes me think of fresh berries. Normally I’d brainstorm something more light & fluffy, but with all the rain we’ve been having I wanted something to represent the dark and stormy summer weather.
Blackberries are such an underrated fruit to use in dessert. Sure raspberries and strawberries are great, but the tart and sweet of the blackberries pairs with the chocolate even better.
The frosting recipe, while it might seem strange, is what makes the cupcakes so delicious. Don’t worry, the first time I made the recipe I also thought there was no way chocolate and blackberry juice would make frosting. But it makes the best frosting! Whipping the frosting after letting it cool really helps to make the frosting fluffy. It is a pretty dense frosting, so I thinned my frosting with a little bit of milk.
I originally only made these cupcakes mini because I had to serve them to a large crowd and making twelve regular size cupcakes wouldn’t have been enough. Next time I make them I’m going to make them mini too. Even though I love anything chocolate, I think the cupcake would be too much as regular size cupcake.
Are you going to make Chocolate Blackberry Cupcakes? Leave a comment below with any questions or suggestions.
Chocolate Blackberry Cupcakes
|Yield: makes 24 mini cupcakes|
Decadent chocolate cupcakes with blackberry puree and frosted with chocolate frosting that’s infused with blackberry syrup.
- 10 ounces fresh blackberries
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 6 ounces chocolate, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoons milk, optional
- Place blackberries in a small saucepan. Add 1/4 cup sugar. Stir, cooking over low until blackberries are mushy and juices are released. Once cooled, strain to separate the juice from the blackberries.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a mini muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix in the vanilla, vegetable oil, milk, and coffee.
- Gently fold in the 1/3 cup chocolate chips and cooked blackberries (don't use the strained blackberry juice!)
- Pour batter evenly in muffin pan. Bake 7 - 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Make the frosting: Boil the strained blackberry juice. Remove from heat and add the 6 ounces chocolate. Let sit for 5 minutes. Stir to mix. Let mixture sit for 20 more minutes until thickened and cool. When cool, beat the frosting on medium high until fluffy, about 2 minutes. If needed, thin frosting with 1 or 2 tablespoons of milk.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes.
images & text © North Coast Eats
adapted from Pastry Affair
Leave a Reply