Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/northc99/public_html/wp-content/plugins/matcha/card.php on line 139
Ahh family reunions. Like most things in life, the older I got the less fun family reunions were.
When I was younger we played the classic children games at the reunions (think potato sack race, 3-legged race, and water balloon toss…) and first place got candy. Sounds like a pretty good day to 8-year-old me. Fast forward ten years later and I swear I always saw different people each year…it was always questionable to me.
They always served the typical picnic food: pasta salad, hot dogs, hamburgers, chips, and salad. (I’m probably forgetting a few things, but those were the basis of it.)
I never touched the pasta salad. Have you ever had the ‘sat in the sun for five hours’ mayo pasta salad? No? Let me tell ya, it’s not good. Not only did this ruin pasta salad for me but it also ruined mayo.
No need to worry about mayo here! This pasta salad has more of the Italian flavors, tossed with an oil & vinegar dressing. You can let this pasta salad sit in the sun for six hours and have no worries. I wouldn’t recommend it, but if it happens nothing is going to spoil!
You can substitute any vegetables you have on hand, but I think these veggies work perfect together.
This recipe comes together quick, like under ten minutes quick! It’s also perfect for leftovers because there’s no need for a microwave.
What are you waiting for? Get cookin’ and have dinner ready in ten minutes.
Asparagus Pasta Salad
Pasta, asparagus, tomatoes, and cucumbers tossed in an Italian dressing.
- 12 asparagus spears, chopped 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 zucchini, roughly chopped 1 inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta, cooked
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
- 4 ounces mozzarella, shredded
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil. When hot, add asparagus and zucchini. Saute 3 minutes, until tender. Add garlic, cook 30 seconds. Remove pan from heat.
- Add all dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk.
- In a large bowl, add pasta, tomatoes, and cooked asparagus mixture. Mix.
- Add dressing and cheese. Mix. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
images & text © North Coast Eats
Adapted from How Sweet Eats' Seriously Delish