It took me awhile to think of what kind of cookies to make today. I debated making something super chocolaty, or something with chocolate chips, or something fall themed. I decided on something fall themed, but I wanted to do something other than the typical pumpkin cookies. These cookies are inspired by my favorite Apple Chai Tea. All the great chai flavor with extra cinnamon and apple flavor.
Tea always sounds good to me, especially in the cool rainy weather. I wanted to steep the tea and add the actual tea to the cookies. Unfortunately, I think I’ll have to hold off on that recipe for bread or muffins. The tea would have made the cookies way too runny. But, the spices in the cookies are amazing! Every time I opened my oven to check the cookies, I smelled the most delicious scent: apple, cinnamon, and warm spices!
These cookies are double the apple. First, we’re adding applesauce (just make sure it’s thick so the cookies don’t get runny), then we’re adding real chopped apples. I chopped my apples very small, about the same size as if I was dicing onions. They will dry out better in the oven and evenly combine with the batter too.
I made a bright, blue background to use for some photos and I was so excited to try it out for this recipe! As I photographed the cookies on the blue background, something just looked out of place. These were such autumn cookies that the blue didn’t match. Then I switched to a picnic theme and the results were much more fitting. Do the seasons change by you? Have the leaves started changing color?
Like most oatmeal cookies I’ve made, they stay puffy after cooking. I’m not a huge fan of puffy cookies so I flattened them out a little before baking. The choice is yours, but if you want flatter cookies, just lightly flatten them with your hands or the bottom of a glass.
Enjoy filling your house with the smell of apple & cinnamon spices!
Apple Chai Oatmeal Cookies
|Yield: Makes 24 cookies|
Oatmeal cookies with chopped apples, warm spices, and lots of cinnamon.
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup melted butter, melted & cooled
- 1/2 cup thick, unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup apple, peeled and finely diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oats through pepper.
- In a medium bowl, mix butter, applesauce, and both sugars. Add the egg, mix.
- Pour wet mixture into dry mixture. Mix. Dough will be thick. Fold in the apples.
- Roll dough into 1 1/2 tablespoon balls. Place on baking sheets. Gently press down dough to prevent puffy cookies. Cook 12 - 15 minutes. Cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes.
images & text © North Coast Eats
adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction