What’s the first thing you think of when you hear ‘homemade bagels’?
Besides the word delicious! I think of all the waiting and rising that goes along with making bagels. I first made the classic New York City style bagels years ago. And yes, they’re delicious, but they also take 2 days to make and hours of waiting between steps. Was it worth all the effort?
I used to think yes. Until I found this 5-Ingredients Bagel recipe. There’s no waiting for the bagels to rise, no leaving the bagel dough overnight, and no boiling! The amazing thing is they taste almost identical to the very time consuming New York bagels I used to make!
Sure, there might be a slight flavor difference, but all-in-all, this recipe will be my go to bagel recipe from now on.
There’s no way you could mess this bagel recipe up. There’s no yeast either, so you don’t have to worry about that! Between the baking powder and greek yogurt, the bagels stay moist and rise the perfect amount while baking in the oven.
I adapted the recipe by adding a little bit of honey. I do the same thing with my pizza dough, I just love the subtle sweetness it gives the dough.
You can go crazy with toppings! That’s my favorite part about making homemade bagels, you’re in charge of the toppings. I love to do a variety of toppings. I use blueberries (fresh blueberries mixed right into the dough), cinnamon & brown sugar, salt (not as weird as it sounds), everything seasoning, sesame, and poppy seeds.
Did I miss anything? What’s your favorite bagel topping??
If you make this 5-ingredients Bagels, please leave a comment. I love hearing your thoughts and suggestions. And tell me your favorite type of bagels!
|Yield: makes 8 - 9 bagels|
There’s no waiting for the bagels to rise, no leaving the bagel dough overnight, and no boiling! Easy bagel recipe you can make with 5 ingredients, under 1 hour.
- ***This makes 8-9 bagels, double recipe for more!***
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- bagel toppings (poppy seeds, sesame, blueberries, cheese, salt, cinnamon....)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, salt. Mix together.
- Add yogurt and honey. Mix until combined. Add a tablespoon of water in mixture is too dry.
- On a floured surface, knead dough about 10 times.
- Divide dough into 8-9 pieces. (depending on how large you want your bagels)
- Using your thumb, poke a hole in each piece of dough and gently stretch the dough out to form a bagel circle shape.
- Brush each bagel with egg wash. Top with desired toppings.
- Bake 25 minutes, until bagels are lightly golden brown. Let cool 5 minutes before cutting.
images & text © North Coast Eats
adapted from A Day In The Kitchen
Leave a Reply